Day Eight: Hanging Out With Locals

Hi Claire,

How’s Victoria?
Today in LA I slept in.
I’m getting a bit tired trying to make the most of my time here.
Honestly, isn’t this supposed to be a vacation?
Can’t I just read spy novels all day?

Anyway, around noon, my Swedish and American musician friends dragged me down Sunset Blvd to Guitar World.
They’re here for 18 months so it’s kindof cool hanging out with them because they’re like locals in a way.
In the grocery store on the way back I walked past “Steve” from Beverly Hills 90210.
We waited outside and to ask him for his photo.
When he came out and realized we were looking for him he practically broke into a run to his car.
But I ran right after him and told him how much I admired his work and he was a real nice guy.



Later we went for a walk up Runyon Canyon.
It’s a fifteen minute walk from the hostel and it’s like paradise.
There’s parrots and hummingbirds and amazing views of Beverly Hills and LA.


A B-list actress asked my Swedish friend Peter to take a photo of her and her kid.
Afterwards, she made polite conversation with us:
“Are you from France?”
“No I’m from Sweden.”
“And what’s your name?”
“I’m Alex, from Vancouver.”
“And where in France are you from?”
“I’m from Sweden.”
“Oh. It’s beautiful there.”
“Have you been?”
“No. But I heard it’s beautiful there.”

We thought it was a hilarious conversation, we got our photo with her.
I blocked out her face because I don’t want to be mean.


On the way back a couple of beautiful girls asked me if I wanted a stress test.
They were both brought up Scientologists and Laura was an actor and the other one was a singer.
They said that Scientology would help me detect insincere people.
Megan said, “You’ve got to buy it!” and tapped me on the leg.
I asked her if she had was single but she said no.
I said you shouldn’t touch my leg if you’ve got a boyfriend.
The other girl laughed.
The two girls were so beautiful that I bought the Scientology bible: "Dienetics" by L. Ron Hubbard.

People at the hostel either say I’m crazy or I’m going to turn into a robot.
I’ve only read a few pages so far, but it’s really lame.